Thursday, June 1, 2017

Something Simple, Something Plain

Something Simple, Something Plain By Jesse Scobie

A maj
I bit the apple and drank the koolaid,
Bmin C#min
I slipped on the shoes, put on the shades
F# min Dmaj
Ashamed of the past, my drunk escapades
Amaj Bmin
I need a new fix, with nothing to gain
F#min Bmin Dmaj
Something to cross the finish line in,
Emaj Amaj
Something simple, something plain

The robins were singing on the old dead tree
Where I left your heart, and you said to me
“How can you separate love from the seed?”
I laugh, and smiled at her false frame
I leave the artificial light behind,
For something simple, something plain

The road signs read “whiskey and smoke”
I lost my will in town, to hear the folks
My job is my songs, my career is my jokes
My friends and lovers wash down the drain
I trade in my rhinestone suit
For something simple, something plain

Bridge:
As I wait for the refrain, and lose the cloak of shame
She wasn’t waiting for a hero to remain
The path to freedom’s clear, but you won’t find it here
When everything you fought for, has disappeared

Amaj
I fell for the wrong spell, but it’s just as well
Bmin C#min
Stood for something strong, but then I fell
F#min Dmaj
Now I’m the one left to ring the bells
Amaj
Hands are shaking as I leave on the last train
Stations full of ghosts bleed into
Something simple, something…
Beautiful faces that I drew
Something simple, something…
The only friend I ever knew,
Is something, something plain





No comments: